Monday, December 6, 2010

Golden Living Center Visit









Today we visited the Golden Living Center for our Girl Scout Take Action Project. Lillian's troop has worked hard the past couple of weeks preparing homemade Christmas cards for the nursing home residents. They colored Christmas trees, used markers, stickers and wrote words on cards. Each girl made 5 Christmas cards and they got to had out their own cards today and put a smile on someone's face!

We talked about nursing homes and what it means to some residents to have visitors. The girls were so excited and we had also prepared three Christmas carols! They sang Jingle Bells, Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer and We Wish You a Merry Christmas! As you can imagine, they shouted We WISHHHHHH You a Merry Christmas and it was adorable! They each wore a Santa hat and shook jingle bells while they rocked it out!

After we passed our cards and sang our carols, we then served the residents cupcakes and punch. I think the girls learned a lot today including my own daughter. It is better to give than to receive and don't forget the magic of the holidays. Our schedules get so over complicated and we miss out on all the small things in our lives. I know I was happy just to see one smile today and know they had that one moment with our troop. Sometimes I forgot myself it isn't always about shopping, making lists and checking it twice! Okay, for those of you that know me, you know I will continue to make lists, check them twice, get way ahead of myself and enjoy all the little details that complicate my life! :) But, I can try, right?

To my girls- you are amazing and I learn from you every week! No matter how much time it takes to prepare for meetings, how many permission forms I have to complete and how many ideas I need to come up with or try to come up with....you always remind me of the fun. I love seeing you all weekly, I love seeing you smile and I love all the fun outings (and we have so many coming up in 2011) and dare I say.... FUN PATCHES (I can't help myself)!!! You have given me a lot and I hope you have learned a little in return from me!

Have a wonderful time in Nebraska, Hannah. We miss you and your family. Laurie, why did you go again? We hope you enjoy watching these songs as they are just for you! We hope you smile, laugh and sing along with us over and over again! Have a wonderful holiday and keeping being as sweet as you are forever! And don't forget your first troop! :)

Enjoy the show and Merry Christmas! See you girls next week for the Christmas Party!!

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment